Happy New Year! How many times have you typed 2017 before having to backspace? 🙂 This past week was back to normal, and I’m already looking forward to our next vacation. California, we’re coming for you in a few weeks!
Here’s what caught our eye online in the world of climbing, eating, cycling and repeating. Saturday Snippets for 06.January.2018.
On Climbing, Eating, Cycling and Repeating:
- Training for power in climbing is often limited to the campus board (which is good, but sometimes it hurts my elbows!). This article has some points about using the bouldering wall that are always good to keep in mind. The hardest part is not turning it into a fun climbing day! 🙂
- We’re always looking for good functional strength exercises. Here are the 8 best functional exercises, if you want to supplement your climbing training (or any training, I think!). We’ve been working on our deadlifts for almost a year now!
- What is your body lacking, if you start craving bean recipes? This giant bean gratin looks like perfect winter food. And these 14 ways to add chickpeas into your meals might help. (Mmm, coconut braised chickpeas)
- Why time seems to speed up as we get older. I certainly feel this way!
- I still remember my first semester of university, and the cost of my textbooks for those entry-level courses. I hope more professors adopt this open-source approach.
On Moby News (aka Sprinter van conversion):
If all was successful yesterday at our local mechanics shop, we will have a functioning second alternator! (Update – it was!!) We talked to our mechanics earlier in the week, and asked if they would be willing to put on the belt for our second alternator, and have Jonty there to watch / help. They said, no problem! All they needed to do was make sure the centre of their shop was clear for us, because it was the only spot tall enough for Moby to fit into 🙂 This is a pretty exciting job to have finished, because it means we can charge our batteries while we’re driving, making us only dependent on having access to fill our fresh water tanks. Very cool!
Most of the work we’ve been doing this week has been unphotographable (is that even a word?).
- We’re still working on the shower: I’ve ordered a shower curtain, Jonty’s working on making a curtain rod
- We’ve decided on a table size: We’re ordering another raw slab of wood from Yew Woodshop and will CNC a table in the same way we did our counter top. The wood is the same, so all our counter top surfaces will match. We pick up the slab on Monday!
- I’m looking for a narrow carpet runner. We’ve had a folded sheet laid down over the floor for quite a few months, and we really like the look of it. It’s also nice to have something that can be vacuumed / washed / cleaned, that also saves us marking up the floor too much. So that’s in progress.
- Now that all of our electrical components are in (we think…) Jonty is lasering another electrical panel board. He’s changed up a few of the electronics descriptions, and is changing the font size to make everything more readable.
So instead of in-progress pictures, I thought I would share a few from our New Years stay in the van. We definitely enjoyed our breakfast with a view. The Saturday Snippets picture is from the Polar Bear swim (we watched, not swam 🙂 ).