Are you ready for the May long weekend? The May 2-4, Victoria Day, Memorial Day, the official start of camping season… Whatever day you’d like to call it, I think everyone can agree that we’re ready for a long weekend filled with sunshine. 🙂
Here’s what caught our eye online in the world of climbing, eating, cycling and repeating. Saturday Snippets for 20.May.2017.
On Climbing, Eating, Cycling and Repeating:
- When we were travelling in our rental van, we made it to one of these 6 places (Bend, Oregon). I guess we have 5 more to try!
- Jelly donut cake? Oh, yes indeed!
- Maybe because I’m in a science field, I’m a sucker for any article that starts with “The science of why…”. We loooove stinky blue cheese, and here’s the science of why 🙂
- For me, the May long weekend signals the beginning of fresh salads. This grilled fattoush salad with halloumi and eggplant looks like a great place to start.
- How two little letters have come to define Canadians, eh!
On Moby News (aka Sprinter van conversion):
This week, Moby was in the shop, getting a bit of a tune-up, so we haven’t been able to do any physical work on him. BUT, Jonty has been busy getting the CAD finished for the galley – figuring out the cut-out dimensions for the induction cooktop and sink.
We plan on having the cooktop mounted flush with the counter surface, and the sink will be under-mounted. As with everything else we do, we’ll prototype this design with a piece of cheap MDF, tweak the dimensions as necessary, and the CNC the finished product.
Before we started physically on the van, we made an initial design using FreeCAD. As we confirm dimensions, Jonty changes the original model to match reality and then tweaks the design of each part. As an example, here’s what our galley counter should look like in the end! The fridge is already installed, and we are still on the hunt for a convection microwave oven (which may be mounted under the sink as shown). Even thought we work on the van and see these progressions in person, it’s still oddly satisfying to see our van as a 3D model!
Pictures from the week of 20.May.2017:
The weather was not quite as bright and sunny this week, as was predicted, but we’ve still been out and about. We spent a lovely Friday afternoon meandering along Jericho beach, taking in all the sights and sounds. The boaters and kayakers and paddle-boarders were all out on the water, and people were desperately willing-on the May long-weekend sunshine. A grey day at the beach is still better than a day in the office, I say! 😉