We love salads. We eat them almost every day, cold weather, warm weather, you name it! The combinations are endless, and all are accepted in this household 🙂
This salad? I could eat a variation of this one every day and never get tired of it. It covers many of my taste and texture requirements – sweet strawberries, tangy goat cheese, crunchy walnuts, sturdy quinoa.
It’s filling, yet light. It holds up well in the fridge and tastes just as good (if not better!) the next day for lunch. Perfect!
Often, I find that a handful of fresh herbs and a spritz of lemon / lime juice will boost the flavour of a salad, and this one is no exception. Add in the strawberries, an it’s like spring in a bowl!
This salad is great on its own, but would be excellent along side a roast chicken or grilled fish.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked
- 300 g strawberries (~12 to 15), hulled and sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 tbsp blackberry-ginger balsamic vinegar (regular balsamic is good, too!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 handfuls pea shoots (or arugula)
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest + juice
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Bring 1.5 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot. Rinse the quinoa well and add to the boiling water. Immediately reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit (with the lid still on) for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and leave to cool.
- Place the sliced onion, jalapeño and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and toss to combine (we do this to mellow the taste of the raw onion). Add the cooled quinoa, olive oil, fresh herbs, and lemon juice + zest, mixing thoroughly. Add the strawberries and pea shoots and combine everything, finally season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and goat cheese to serve.