Remember the uber-tasty cottage cheese I made last week? Well, there was almost a litre of leftover buttermilk that I saved from that recipe and it only seemed fitting to put it to good use, preferably in the form of a baked good.
These muffins were based off of a recipe I found here, and the result was one of the tallest muffins ever to have come out of our oven!
I reduced the amount of sugar from the original recipe, as I was hoping the sweetness from the bananas would be enough, and sprinkled the top with chopped walnuts. We thought they were perfect!
I think the key to sky-high muffins is to fill the muffin cups right to the top, and to use a higher heat (400°F).
These muffins freeze well, which is great, as the recipe made 15 standard-sized muffins, and are perfect with a mid-morning coffee 🙂
- Serves: 15 standard-sized muffins
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 228
- Fat: 8.4 g
- Saturated fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Sugar: 8.8 g
- Sodium: 192.2 mg
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
- Cholesterol: 55 mg
- 1¼ cup (160 g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 2¼ cup (295 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (75 g) loosely packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 240 mL buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter, just melted
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (or any berry!)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F and paper-line 15 standard-sized muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl: Thoroughly mix the wet ingredients together (bananas, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, butter).
- In a large bowl: Thoroughly sift the dry ingredients together (flours, brown sugar, sea salt, baking soda, baking powder).
- Add the frozen blueberries to the flour mixture and toss gently to fully coat the berries. Add the wet ingredients to the flour - blueberry mixture and mix gently, until just combined (it's okay if you still have a few streaks of flour).
- Spoon the mixture into the paper-lined muffin tins, filling them right to the top. Sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.
- Bake on the centre rack for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown