Saturday Snippets: 30.December.2017

This holiday week has gone by in blink of an eye. We’ve spent our week eating good food, visiting with family and friends, and probably spending too much time underneath the van. The fact that we’re on the Eve of 2018? Crazy!

Here’s what caught our eye online in the world of climbing, eating, cycling and repeating. Saturday Snippets for 30.December.2017.

On Climbing, Eating, Cycling and Repeating:

On Moby News (aka Sprinter van conversion):

Unfortunately, I don’t have many pictures for you this week, even though we’ve been hard at work on Moby. The snap below was my attempt at trying a panoramic shot. Please excuse the wobbles, due to my shaky hands 🙂

ClimbEatCycleRepeat.com | Sprinter van conversion - interior picture

Second Alternator:

  • It’s taken us nearly a week to get the second alternator installed and wired up. We still have to put the belt on, but we’re hoping to get a bit of help with that soon.
  • Jonty has gotten all the electronics talking to each other and once the alternator belt is properly installed, we should be able to start charging our batteries directly off the second alternator.
  • This means that as we drive around town, we can charge up (as opposed to plugging into shore power). Or we can run the vehicle at high idle (we made sure to include that option when we ordered the van) and charge the batteries that way, too. A very exciting part of our off-the-grid van design!

Odds and Ends:

  • In running the wiring for the alternator, we had to make a few changes to the order of our electrical board. This meant we basically dismantled our entire electrical system, re-oriented it, and got it back up and running. So while we had some of that system out of the van, we used that as an opportunity to tackle some of the squeaks and creaks.
  • We added a few more attachment points for the bedroom divider walls to the galley and electrical box framing. We also attached the ottoman-loo box to the wardrobe divider, to give it a bit more stability. These few screws have totally stopped the vibrations, and our ride is nice and quiet!
  • Last week I sewed a little cover for the base of the shower, when it’s in its foldable position, to protect the floor from the corners of the shower pan. I didn’t like my first attempt, so it’s back to the drawing board. Once I’m happy with the final product, I’ll share a few pictures.

That’s about it for a quick progress report! Once the second alternator is fully installed, we’ll share some details. And then it will be back to working on the plumbing for the shower.

Onwards and upwards!

Happy New Year!

Leave a Reply