I think Vancouver missed the spring memo, and has jumped straight to summer! We’ve had fantastic weather this week, and it’s supposed to continue through next week. We were able to get outside climbing twice this week (first of the season), and it felt pretty darned good. 🙂
Here’s what caught our eye online in the world of climbing, eating, cycling and repeating. Our Saturday Snippets for 27.May.2017.
On Climbing, Eating, Cycling and Repeating:
- I’ve always thought there should be a way to integrate turn-signal lights onto a bike. If cars have them, why don’t bike? This commuter bike helmet does it!
- Knock on wood, we’ve finally entered nice-weather territory! It’s kind of weird, seeing the sun for so many days in a row! A few days in, and I’m ready for all the ice cream. This Blackberry Chip looks fantastic!
- I’ve got ice cream on my mind. Frozen Peanut Butter Cup Pie. Yes.
- We love pineapple, and it’s making these burgers look pretty darned good.
- Granville Island might be getting its first make-over in almost 50 years. I was skeptical of the city preventing it from turning into another mainstream shopping area, but it looks like I might be mistaken. I really like the design plan!
- We all live busy lives. Do you ever schedule time to do nothing?
On Moby News (aka Sprinter van conversion):
We took Moby in to the shop to get some work done, at the beginning of last week. It was supposed to be done within the week. No such luck. At the time of writing this, it’s still not done, and their estimate is now by the end of next week! It’s a bit frustrating, but there’s not much we can do. Jonty thinks he might start designing the water / plumbing system for the van, because he’s finished up as much other design work as he can do, before we physically need the van.
So here’s what we’ve been getting organized for when the van IS back:
- Our kitchen countertop butcher block slab has been purchased! We’ve bought an 8-foot unfinished slab from Yew Woodshop for super cheap (it becomes more expensive, if you want them to do all the work).
- We’ve purchased our kitchen faucet! I’m pretty sure our van kitchen has officially become more modern and functional than our apartment. 😉
- Jonty has the CNC cut-outs for the countertop finished – we just need the van to load the wood in and haul it to Maker Labs.
- We have the walls surrounding the fridge ready to be CNC’d and have added in a cool little design detail (you’ll just have to wait and see!).
- We’re flipping back and forth between buying a small convection oven and a convection microwave oven. I think we’re leaning towards the oven-only option, as our food lives really revolve around baking/cooking with that. Any thoughts?
Pictures from the week of 27.May.2017:
On the Victoria Day Monday, we cycled up to UBC to look around. We’ve wanted to do this for ages – it’s been 10 years since Jonty finished working up there (eek!) and 12 years since I finished my Masters there (double eek!). We knew things had changed, and it was a glorious day, so thought it would be a good time to check it out.
Because I only did my Masters there, and spent most of that time off-campus, at the cancer centre, I’ve never really spent a lot of time exploring the campus. There were so many streets and buildings that I never knew existed! If you’ve never been around UBC, I’d urge you to take a walk or cycle through the campus.