I was on vacation this past week and that translated into A LOT of van work, which I didn’t mind. So I hope you’re ready for a pile of van photos, because that’s where we spent most of the week!
Here’s what caught our eye online this past week. Our Saturday Snippets for 25.February.2017.
On Climbing, Eating, Cycling and Repeating:
- Want to start training for climbing? Here’s a good article, with links to training strength, power and power endurance.
- We received our latest Raw Spice Bar package in the mail this week. I think we’re going to try out the Spanish Seafood Paella this weekend.
- I’m not sure the last time I’ve eaten an Oreo cookie. Decades? I’d totally be down with these peanut butter Oreos, though!
- Photos of school lunches around the world. Fresh food. What a concept, hey?
- How to choose the best sunglasses, based on your face shape. We actually bought sunglasses last year, and used this little pictogram!
- Two earthquakes were registered this past week – one in Seattle, the other along the northern part of the BC coastline. Canadian Forces are ready for the Big One. Are you?
On Moby News (aka Sprinter van conversion):
- It’s been a busy week for our little Moby. The first big news is that we bought a Bully Hitch Step! This has been a game-changer for getting into and out of the back of the van. The 4×4 makes the height of the van quite a high step, so this has really helped. Why did we wait so long to get something like this?!
- We’re finally at the point where we can start to add more of our Thinsulate insulation to the van. There are nooks and crannies everywhere in the van and one of the trickier locations to put insulation is into the hollow ceiling ribs. Thank goodness for YouTube, there’s some great solutions on there! The method: tape over all holes and attached a piece of tissue to the end of a string. Then, using a vacuum cleaner, suck the string through the rib. Once the string is through, attach one end of the string to the Thinsulate, and gently pull it back through the rib – done! I was able to do one ceiling rib in about 5 minutes, I reckon YouTube saved me days of work!
- Everything is curved in this van – the walls, the ceiling, parts of the floor… It’s a bit of a nightmare for Jonty and his design work. Another job we ticked off this week was to do something about the curvature of the lower wall panel boards. The solution was to add shims of varying thicknesses to the back of the wall panels. Now that it’s done, the walls are straighter, and we’re much happier 🙂
- Finally, we got around to insulating and boxing-in wheel wells. Jonty CNC’d the panels for wheel well boxes and we stained them. We added Thinsulate to each wheel well and attached each wheel well box to the floor and wall, and put in the panels. While we were at it, Jonty beefed up the attachments for the battery box. Everything tied down nicely now!
Pictures during the week of 25.February.2017:
Honestly, the week was filled with van work from Sunday through Friday, so we didn’t have a chance to get out for our weekly photo walk. I did manage to snap a few sunrise and sunset photos, as we travelled to and from Maker Labs. So this will have to do 😉