Welcome to the first week of July! The weather has been unusually warm. For us, it means early climbing days and warm evenings on the balcony, and we’re loving it! Here’s what caught our eye online in the world of climbing, eating, cycling and repeating. Our Saturday Snippets for 08.July.2017.
On Climbing, Eating, Cycling and Repeating:
- Rock climbing in slow motion. I can only imagine how horrible some of those holds would be to catch!
- We’ve got everything we need to make this kale and quinoa salad, so I’m not sure what I’m waiting for! I love the idea of plumping up the dried cranberries in the cooking quinoa.
- I bet a version of these chocolate chia oatmeal bars would make a great climbing-day snack.
- We were watching a movie earlier this week, which prompted me to ask Jonty, “Do fish actually sleep”? Well, they do, and this is what sperm whales look like when they sleep. Kind of freaky, I think!
- Yes, there’s really a park called “Dude Chilling” in Vancouver. And, yes, they offer free yoga there in the summer 🙂
- Could you sleep in a Bubble Lodge? I’m not sure!
On Moby News (aka Sprinter van conversion):
Compared to the last few weeks, where we were cutting, staining, epoxying, OSMOing, this week felt like a slower week. BTW – we finished the sink cover / tray, and it’s turned out really good! I think it’s definitely going to be a functional piece in the kitchen.
- We’ve finished the lighting in the van! We installed LED strip lighting underneath all the cabinets (in the kitchen and bedroom areas).
- One of the great things about using 80/20 for all the cabinet framing is the ability to use the channels for multiple purposes. On one side of the frame, we’re able to hang curtains. On the other side, we’re able to slide in thin LED strips! We’ve placed a diffusing strip (opaque plastic) on one side of the LEDs, so you can’t see the individual lights, and it gives a nice warm glow to the spaces.
- All of the wiring runs through the 80/20 channels and up into the ceiling, so we don’t have any wires visible. Cool!
- And all of the lights are on dimmer switches, so mood lighting is available at the push of a button 😉
- Since we had to take all the cabinets down (yet again) to install the LED lights, we figured it was a good time to make and install the cabinet dividers. We’ve got one divider per cabinet, giving us 6 separate compartments. We kind of like the way the holes turned out! A bit of functionality (can see through them, which is nice, and good for air-flow) and a bit of peek-a-boo eye candy (because, why not!)
Other bits and pieces:
- We’ve ordered a 45-gallon fresh water tank this week, and it should be here in about a month. So once that comes, we’ll be able to cut more holes in the floor, and get our van water-ready!
- Next on the list is designing and making the bed frame. Jonty is starting to have a better idea of what that might look like (what materials to use, how to attach it to the van, what height we want the bed to sit at, etc).
- I’m slowly getting my ducks in a row for making the curtains. I’m still on the hunt for the “ideal fabric”. I can’t really describe what I want, but I’ll know it when I see it (are you like that, too?!) Wish me luck on my hunt 🙂