The first weekend of August! How are you spending your long weekend? The weather is still supposed to be nice and hot, although the last few days have been very smoky.
Here’s what caught our eye online in the world of climbing, eating, cycling and repeating. Saturday Snippets for 05.August.2017.
On Climbing, Eating, Cycling and Repeating:
- The annual Arc’teryx Climbing Academy was held in Squamish a few weeks ago. It’s a week-long festival filled with lectures and teaching and climbing. Here’s a few pictures from a photo competition they held that week. Yup, we have a beautiful backyard to play in 🙂
- This looks like my kind of summer pasta salad – heavy on the tomatoes, lighter on the pasta.
- A few weeks ago, I had my first piece of watermelon in ages (like definitely more than 10 years). Crazy, I know. Now I can’t stop thinking about eating more watermelon! This salsa sounds fantastic to me.
- Be still, my dog-loving heart! These pictures made me smile from beginning to end (especially the Mosey the Bloodhound).
On Moby News (aka Sprinter van conversion):
This was a busy week for the old Mobester.
- The bed is finished, and we’ve got a mattress sorted out, too!
- We ended up using steel strut u-channel along the window side, and two half u-channels spot-welded together to form the centre I-beam. Jonty CNC’d mounts to hold the wooden slats (from Ikea, trimmed down to fit our width) on one end. Along the centre I-beam, we used industrial-strength velcro to hold the slats in place. And, so far so good! There is still some deflection of the steel beams when we lay on it, but it’s consistent with what Jonty calculated there would be, so we’re happy with that.
Kitchen / Galley:
- We finally decided on our oven, and bought it on Monday. We went back and forth between a convection microwave, or a convection oven. In the end, we use our oven waaay more than we use our microwave. And when we were travelling before, we definitely missed being able to bake / roast / toast things. So we went with the Breville Smart Oven Air convection oven (we got a fantastic deal on it!).
- We’ve been using it in the apartment this week, to see if it was going to be a good fit for us. So far, we’ve toasted bread and buns, made homemade pizza, baked bread and roasted veggies. And it’s been fantastic! We’re super happy with our decision! Now we just need to build it into the van 🙂 If I’m honest, I might be a little sad that it can only be used in the van!
- Jonty has also wired up two more electrical sockets above the countertop. These will be used for general kitchen appliances, laptops, charging phones, etc.
- Our 45 gallon water tank arrived earlier in the week, and the mounting process has just begun. Pictures to come, when it’s all done!