This very tasty meal is one that rears its head multiple times a month in our household. We first made the original recipe, a Broccoli Gribiche from this cookbook, a few years ago, and it’s since been morphed and deconstructed as ingredients and desires change.
Have you ever heard of Gribiche sauce? Me neither. It’s basically a vinaigrette with some egg yolks, herbs, shallots and capers thrown in. Toss it with roasted broccoli and baby potatoes, and you have a wonderfully flavourful, and comforting, bowl of food. Over the years of making this, I’ve decided it’s the combination of pairing the acidic red wine vinegar with the charred sweetness of the vegetables, that makes this dish so great.
If we’re feeling ambitious, we will make a proper Gribiche sauce and blend the oil, vinegar, mustard, herbs and egg yolks together and toss with the warm roasted vegetables. More often than not, we’re lazy and will just toss all (or some!) of the ingredients together and serve it up, deconstructed-style, usually switching the hard-boiled egg with a softly poached one.
Regardless of our method, the result is always tasty and one of us will always utter the phrase “Why does this meal have to taste so great!?”, followed by much nodding 🙂
This is a great weeknight meal when you are craving something warm and healthy. Depending on how quickly you can chop up your vegetables, you can have this meal on the table in under 30 minutes. Not too shabby!
- Serves: 2
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 17.5 g
- Saturated fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.9 g
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 236.8 mg
- Fiber: 8.3 g
- Protein: 21 g
- Cholesterol: 372 mg
- ½ medium head broccoli, cut into florets (stems can go in, too!)
- 5 baby potatoes, halved or quartered, depending on their size
- 2 medium peppers, chopped into large pieces
- ½ medium zucchini, sliced into thick half-moons
- 5 - 6 mushrooms, halved or quartered
- ½ small red onion, cut into large pieces
- 4 large eggs, poached or cooked to your liking
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Place all the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with a small amount of olive oil. Lay them on the tray in a single layer.
- Roast the vegetables for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing half-way through their cook time, until they are soft and slightly charred.
- While the veggies are roasting, whisk the olive oil, vinegar and mustard into a vinaigrette, adjusting to taste as necessary.
- In the last 10 minutes of the cooking time, prepare the eggs. Jonty poaches them using a method similar to this.
- Once the veggies are done, place them into a large bowl and toss them with the vinaigrette and parsley. Taste for seasoning and add more red wine vinegar, salt or pepper to taste. Serve in two large bowls and top with the poached eggs.
Enjoy this Roasted Vegetable Gribiche!