Last weekend we cycled down to the Postmark Brewing tasting-lounge to sample the craft brews and nibble the tapas from their Belgard Kitchen. We decided to try the beet dip and veggie platter, which was worth ordering for the vibrant beet colour, alone, and it was very tasty! We nearly always have some beets in our fridge, so I knew I just had to recreate this at home… so last night I took the plunge and tried it out… it was fantastic!
Did you know that beets are nutritional powerhouses? They boast a number of health benefits, including being rich in antioxidants and high in fiber. They help to lower blood pressure, fight inflammation and help the body detoxify impurities. Beets (and beet juice) may also help improve physical stamina, which is great for all those active people out there, looking to make the most of their workouts!
For this dip, the beets are cooked in the oven for about 45 minutes, then puréed in a blender with some Greek yogurt and a few spices.
The colour is incredibly bright and vibrant, it’s almost hard to believe that no horrible food-colouring drops are added!
I made this in the afternoon and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so before we really dug in. The flavour improved as it sat, so if you can wait, I would suggest the same. We ate ours with a few homemade tortillas, and along-side fish tacos made with sablefish.
I can see this dip falling into a regular rotation in our household. The original recipe topped the dip with goat cheese, which would be great, but it’s just great on its own too.
- Serves: 1.5 cups
- Serving size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 20
- Fat: 0.7 g
- Saturated fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.6 g
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 16.1 mg
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 1.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0.3 mg
- 2 - 3 (425 g) medium red beets, trimmed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (less, if you prefer less spice)
- ½ cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- ¼ tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp finely-chopped parsley
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Trim the beets, cut them in half and place in a shallow roasting pan. Add a few tablespoons of water, cover loosely with foil and bake for ~45 minutes until tender (a fork should easily pierce the beet pieces). Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the skin off the beet and place in a food processor, along with the garlic, red chili flakes and yogurt. Blend until well-combined.
- Add the olive oil, maple syrup and spices (cumin, oregano, paprika, sea salt and pepper). Blend until smooth.
- Transfer into a shallow dish either and sprinkle with walnuts and parsley. Serve with warm bread and veggies.