We’ve been experiencing some hot weather down in Hueco Tanks and our dinners have been gravitating toward simple salads paired with a protein. Last week we had electricity so cooked up tofu in the toaster oven, it could easily be cooked in a pan, but the oven requires less attention.
Tofu is a blank canvas and can handle some bold flavours so I think pairing the sweet maple-syrup and spicy chili flakes worked really well. If tofu isn’t your thing, this glaze would be great on prawns or chicken or even veggies!
Our salads usually involve kale and spinach as the base, adding an assortment of rotating veggies depending on our mood. We don’t believe in store-bought dressings (waste of money, full of junk…), all you need is a fat (olive oil or avocado), an acid (balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon/lime juice) and seasoning to taste. Simple ingredients, great flavours!
This marinade is simple to make and can even double as a bit of a dressing for the salad. For the tofu, I let it marinate for a few hours, but even 30 minutes would be fine.
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1 portion
- Calories: 214
- Fat: 15.4 g
- Saturated fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.9 g
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 305.4 mg
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 15.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- 14 oz package extra-firm tofu, drained and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried chili peppers
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Whisk together the maple syrup, olive oil, chili peppers, lemon juice and salt. Place the tofu in a container with a lid. Add the marinade to the tofu and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook (at least 30 minutes).
- To cook, remove the tofu from the marinade and place on a pan. Broil for 20 - 30 minutes, flipping every 10 minutes, or until the tofu crisps.
- Serve with your favourite salad.