I’ve been making a version of this salad for the last few weeks. Chickpeas, red onion, raisins, herbs and a make-shift vinaigrette serve as a base for whatever veggies we have to use up. It’s sweet, it’s tangy, it holds up well in the fridge for a few days, and the flavours improve with time. Bonus!
The vinaigrette is a drizzle of olive oil, fresh lemon juice (plus the zest) and a dollop of good-quality mustard. To bulk it out, add whatever veggies take your fancy, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes are always good options. We also tossed in cucumber and asparagus spears this time around.
Adding another protein to the salad, like tuna, boiled eggs, grilled chicken or fish, will turn this into a nice, healthy and substantial meal.
This salad is a great “clean out the fridge” salad that will get you through lunch, dinner, or even a mid-afternoon snack!
- 1 can (540 ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- ¼ medium red onion, finely diced
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp good-quality mustard
- 1 lemon, juice + zest
- Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Assortment of veggies
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Fill out the salad with whatever veggies suit your mood.