We have spent a few nights in the Hueco Tanks State Park campground, meaning we get water AND electrical hook-up, which provides a few more cooking options in the RV. We feel pretty special 🙂 I wanted to make a dessert after bouldering the other day and had a craving for a crisp / crumble treat.
We had apples, we had strawberries and we had electricity for our toaster oven – this is looking promising! I was going to use the toaster oven to bake a dessert for the first time ever – this could be challenging!
So, chop two small apples and a few strawberries into small pieces and toss them with a bit of flour, cinnamon and lemon juice. Divide the mixture into two ramekins; don’t worry if the ramekins look really full, the fruit will shrink as it cooks.
The topping I used for this crisp was pretty minimal – some oats, cinnamon, chopped walnuts, maple syrup and a bit of butter. The amount just covered the fruit. Next time, I might make a bit more. Pack the crisp topping onto the fruit.
If you have access to a full oven – lucky you!!
If you have access to a toaster oven – it’ll do!!
I tried baking the crisps at 350 F for about 15 minutes, realized the topping was browning VERY quickly, so I turned down the oven to 300 F and baked for another 5 minutes. The fruit still had a bit of a bite to it (read: kinda crunchy), so next time I will probably try cooking the apples down in a sauce pan before adding them to the ramekins. If you have an actual oven, I suspect that baking at 325 F for 25 minutes or so, would work just fine.
We served ours warm with a dollop of greek yogurt. This dessert may need a bit of tweaking to meet our RV standards, but that’s all part of the process, and tweaking is always tasty anyway!
- Serving size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Saturated fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.7 g
- Sugar: 28.3 g
- Sodium: 297.2 mg
- Fiber: 7.2 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 10.3 mg
- 2 small apples (like Granny Smith), cored and chopped
- 2 medium strawberries, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp flour
- Dash of cinnamon
- ¼ cup large flake oats
- ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cold, unsalted butter
- Toss the apples and strawberries with the lemon juice, flour and cinnamon until well coated. Divide into two ramekins.
- To make the crisp topping, mix together the oats, walnuts, cinnamon and sea salt. Stir in the maple syrup, then add in the butter and mix until clumpy (note: if you are making this in an RV in +32 C, the butter will probably not be cold, and the mixture will probably not be clumpy. Don't worry, the end result still tastes good!).
- Top the fruit mixture with the oat topping and bake at 325 F for about 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt or whipped cream.