For the past few months, we’ve been designating Monday as “Movie Night”. We’re pretty hopeless at going to the theatre on a regular basis. If we average one theatre-movie per year, we’re doing pretty good! And sometimes Netflix seems overwhelming with so much to choose from! So we’ve started to tackle this by picking one movie a week to watch. It makes for a nice start to the week, almost like it’s still the weekend.
If we can, we try to make our Monday Movie Night meals on the lighter side. This week, we made these Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps and immediately decided these should be in our regular meal rotation. They’re easy to make, fun to eat, and still leave enough room in our tummies for popcorn afterwards!
I didn’t really follow any recipe of sort, but tried to incorporate those classic Thai flavours that we all love: fresh lime juice, tangy fish sauce, and a healthy addition of red Thai chilies. To add a twist on the classic flavours, I threw in a handful of pomegranate arils and some walnuts for a bit of crunch. Yes, this part was decidedly not Thai-inspired, but the combination was so, so good!
I would say this meal, as written, would feed 2 people, with nothing else added. If you were using it as a side salad, or in addition to something else, you could probably stretch to feed 4 people. To get a decent amount of protein, I’d aim for a cup of chopped chicken per person, and adjust everything else from there. We usually buy a roasted chicken from the store on a weekly basis, which makes the prep for this meal super quick and easy.
For the best flavours, definitely let this sit at least 30 minutes in the fridge. We left it for about 4 hours, and it was awesome! I know it would be one of those salads that would taste even better the next day, assuming you could restrain yourself by leaving some left over. We were not that restrained 🙂
To eat this salad with lettuce wraps, just scoop a bit of the mixture into a tender-leaf lettuce (we used butter lettuce), and wrap away! Something about the sweet-and-spicy-and-crunchy combination, was a winner. I can see this being on repeat for our Monday movie nights!
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 2 Thai red chilies, chopped
- 3 - 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup chopped walnut pieces
- Handful of arugula (optional)
- I head of butter lettuce, for wrapping
- In a large bowl, mix together the sesame oil, fish sauce, maple syrup, lime juice, chili peppers and green onions.
- Add in the chicken, pomegranate arils and walnuts, and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. The longer it sits, the better.
- If you are eating this as a side salad, toss in some arugula before eating. Otherwise, scoop the mixture into lettuce leaves to eat.